Post by blaird on Jul 12, 2019 15:03:15 GMT -8
There are many variants out there. After review, and consideration, we have decided to use what is listed below. As we researched, we found there was conflicting information that had to be resolved. We have also made some decisions in the interest of standardization between TFT and QotS.
Listed below are the various downloads, and modifications, for QotS players to fly B-24D Liberators in this campaign:
1. Download the B-24J Crew Placement Sheet from this link below:
NOTE: If you don’t have a username/password for Board Game Geek, you will need one. It’s free.
NOTE: The following changes to the crew placement sheet need to be taken into consideration when playing:
a. There is no Nose Turret gunner on the B-24D. In this model, the Bombardier fires the Nose Machine Gun, (singular), which is not a turret and is not powered.
b. The Navigator has the ability to fire either the Port OR Starboard Cheek Machine Guns. Use the same rules for Cheek Guns as found in the QotS Rule Book.
c. In the Machine Guns section, you can insert Cheek Guns between Nose and Top turrets.
2. Download, and Unzip, the B-24 Variant Pack from this link below:
The following items will be used from this pack, once you have extracted it:
a. Open the file: B24VariantMissionCharts.pdf. Based on weapons configuration - we are using the B-24E model Mission Chart. You will also need to write down the name of your second Waist Gunner in the crew section.
b. Open the file: B-24 Variant.doc. We will be using the rules listed on pages 12 and 13, with the following exceptions:
1) Rule 10, (the Waist Gunner swap). We will not use this, as we have gone ahead and added a second waist gunner to our QotS game in order to fly the same crew configuration that’s used by TFT players.
2) Rule 11, (Nose Turrets). We will not use this, since the B-24D model is not equipped with a nose turret. It’s just a regular, single, machine gun.
3) Rule 12, (Emergency Landing). Remove the words “in France” and the spirit of the rule otherwise remains in effect.
c. In the file B-24 Variant.doc, we will also use the charts, for mission resolution, that run from pages 16 through 28. With the below listed considerations:
1) (Page 17) For damage determination, on a nose hit, use the rules for flying the B-24E.
2) (Page 27) Use the rules for the B-24E. This information is somewhat confusing. Early B-24D models did not have cheek guns, but later models did. We are playing the later model for standardization purposes.
3) (Page 27) Use the rules for a Tunnel Gun, as the B-24D did not have a Ball Turret.
This is the first time we are using the B-24 Liberator variant in a 509th game/campaign. We are trying to balance historical accuracy, with platform standardization, and also keep it fun. So, QotS players… we ask for your understanding while we continue to iron out these rules. They likely won’t be perfect. Please periodically check this posting to see if there are any changes. And PLEASE DO let us know if you see anything that isn’t correct, needs to be addressed, or - even better – helps us make improvements to our game.
IF YOU HAVE ANY DISCUSSION, OR EVEN COMPLAINTS, REGARDING THE ABOVE RULES AND MODIFICATIONS, OR IF YOU HAVE RECOMMENDED ADDITIONS TO BE MADE, PLEASE DON’T POST THEM IN THIS THREAD. PLEASE SEND A PM TO ME (Coinich ) OR THE XO (crushedhat ), AND WE WILL ABSOLUTELY ADDRESS THEM. THANKS.
The 509th would like to give thanks, and credit, to the authors who researched, and wrote, the variants we are using. Thank you for your contributions to the game.
ON A SIDE NOTE: A Very detailed look at the B-24 including position descriptions:
Also with issues regarding the B-24 you are always welcome to reach out to myself or limburger59